Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Nychole Owens - Artist



Nychole was born in 1979 in Los Angeles, California. Both the time and the place of her birth has shaped her visual creations. Preceding her birth were the great democratic struggles in America; the Black Panther Party, the peace movement and the Civil and women’s rights movement. The creative and inquisitive Nychole studied the past for its lessons and images. There she found black pride, the Afro, and other symbols of strength, self-acceptance, and self-love. These images have transformed her work - and in particular, one of her signature images is a rounded elegant natural Afro crowning the head of a strong black woman. Nychole says, "these images are important to me because they represent women defining their own beauty, and not relying on Madison Avenue modeling firms, cosmetic companies and Hollywood to define the boundaries of their beauty."

Nychole Owens is dedicated to the craft of visual expression, not as isolated art, but as a way of life. She notes, "Drawing has always been for me a way for me to express feelings I could not verbalize. I’m sure it saved my life on many occasions. It’s my escape, my love, my entertainment, and my joy to release images from my head onto a beautiful smooth sheet of paper. I draw from my loss, love, pain, frustration, dreams, knowledge and the beauty I see in the world."

1 comment: